I was taught how to poach by a friend in college – a method that doesn’t require a poacher tool, plastic bag, vinegar or swirl technique – and her way is how I’ve done it ever since. Try it out and let me know how it goes – and tag me @meags_eggs if you post a picture!
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 10 mins.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 2-3 inches of water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Remove the lid and reduce to medium-low heat. I err on the low side – if my eggs fall apart before poaching, it’s always because the water was too hot.
- If you’re using an electric stove, after reducing heat to low, remove the pot from the heat for a minutes while the burner reaches a lower temperature. This step can be skipped for gas stoves because the temperature adjusts so much faster.
- Once the water has stopped bubbling and remains at a simmer, gently crack 2 eggs into the water. Drop eggs from the shell as close to the water as possible, to avoid a hard fall that might break the yolk. It’s okay to poach more than one egg in the same pot at once. I often poach 4 at a time.
- Let eggs cook for about 3-4 minutes. It depends on the exact heat you’re using and how runny or firm you want them. I like mine runny with a fully solidified egg white, so I keep it as close to 3 minutes as possible.
- To see if they’re done to your desired consistency, use a ladle to (very softly) check how solidified the eggs are. Be extra careful – if you attempt to remove the eggs before they’re fully poached, they’ll be liquid-y, jiggle too much, and the yolk will likely start running from the bottom before it makes it to your plate.
- Once the eggs have reached your desired consistency, scoop them out carefully with the ladle, one at a time.
- Let the yolks ooze, take a #yolkporn pic, tag @meags_eggs, and enjoy!
Happy #nationalcoffeeday and #tbt 🍳☕️ bc we all could use a bigger cup of coffee ❤️ Thanks to @zekescoffeedc for this giant mug 😍 #coffeelove #blackcoffee #breakfast #brunch #throwback #eggs #poachedeggs #yolk #yolkporn #cooking #onmytable #quickmeal #food #foodpics #foodporn #foodie #dcigers #dcfoodie #dcfoodporn #eeeeats #washingtondc #caffeinatethecapital #coffee