This is one of the more difficult breakfasts I have attempted. If it’s your first time, I’d suggest trying these on a weekend when you have plenty of time rather than when you’re rushed before work. But they are worth the extra effort and so delicious.
- 1 avocado
- 2 pieces of bread
- 2 eggs
- Red pepper flakes/seasoning of your choice
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 30 mins.
- Toast bread.
- Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Carefully peel the skin off of each half, making sure to keep the flesh in its original shape.
- Set one half flat-side down on a cutting board. Starting at the narrower end and working your way toward the wider end, use a knife to cut the avocado half into very thin slices (a few millimeters wide) – while using your hand to keep the slices stuck together so the avocado generally maintains its shape. As you slice, the flesh might stick to the knife and come up. Try to lightly press it down so the slices stick together.
- Beginning with the narrow end again, gently use your hands to spread the slices out sideways. They should be overlapping with each other and then eventually form a long chain as you continue to gently massage them apart. Then, start with the narrow end and carefully roll the slices in on each other like a cinnamon roll until it all forms a thick circular shape. You should be seeing the “rose” now! You can finesse the slices a little to make it look more flowery. Carefully use a thin spatula to scoop the rose onto a piece of toast.
- Repeat with the second avocado half and second piece of toast.
- Poach 2 eggs (here’s my poaching method!) and scoop each egg onto each piece of toast, next to the avocado roses.
- Season however you’d like.
- Photograph your beautiful achievement, and tag me!
P.S. Struggling with the avocado roses? This video is a great visualization of the steps. Good luck!