This breakfast is perfect when all my body wants are vegetables after an indulgent weekend of junk food or booze. It feels good to eat this much green, and the butternut squash makes it feel so decadent. Treat yourself to this on a Sunday or Monday morning!
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- 5 oz spinach
- 1/2 of a large butternut squash (also works with sweet potato or russet potato!)
- Desired seasoning
- Desired garnish, such as parsley
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Heat a little olive oil in a medium-sized pan. Chop and peel butternut squash (I did square-inch sized pieces) and sauté in the oil on medium-low heat until pieces start to get crispy and brown on the edges. Season with garlic salt or other herbs as desired.
- Add a large handful of spinach, and stir in a bit more oil. As spinach wilts, add more, so there is a full layer of spinach in the pan. Stir occasionally with the squash.
- When spinach is almost completely wilted and you’ve added enough that it’s covering the bottom of the pan in a thick layer, use a ladle to make two indents in the mixture for the eggs.
- Crack an egg into each indent. Add a little more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Once the eggs begin to cook, cover the pan. I leave it covered long enough to let the egg whites cook fully while the yolk is still visible, which takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool, add any garnishes such as parsley or more seasoning, take pictures and tag me!
One Comment Add yours