This savory waffle breggfast has officially been added to my list of all-time favorites! I was inspired by a local D.C. startup called SWAP Foods that makes plant-based, gluten free AND paleo frozen waffles. (Here’s my interview with their founder when I first discovered swapples last year). These cups were such a delicious way to use them. If you haven’t gotten your hands on swapples yet, this recipe will also work with any other kind of frozen waffle.
- 2 thick frozen waffles, like swapples sun-dried tomato flavor (or 4 thinner waffles)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
- Your preferred seasoning (I used a Tuscan spice mix, red pepper flakes and some parsley)
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Microwave swapples (or waffles) on a plate for 30 seconds so they are a little pliable.
- If you’re using square waffles, use a tupperware or other round object to cut a 4 inch diameter circle shape out of each.
- For swapples, and other thick waffles (like Belgian), slice in half the long way like you would slice a bagel. If you’re using thinner waffles, skip the bagel slice step. Then cut each half into semi-circles (you should have 8 total semi-circles).
- Lightly coat 4 sections of a muffin tin with baking spray.
- Press 2 semi-circles into each muffin cup, with their flat side on the bottom. They will overlap slightly.
- I put a small piece of flattened bread at the bottom of each muffin cup. This isn’t necessary, but helps hold everything together. A gluten free alternative could be pieces from another waffle, or chopped veggies, like tomatoes.
- Sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese inside each cup.
- Crack an egg into each waffle cup, and then season to taste. I used a Tuscan spice mix and red pepper flakes.
- Cook times for this recipe vary. I set my timer for 15 mins, but check it after 10. You want the egg whites to start to solidify but the yolks to still be runny.
- Let cool for a few minutes. They should be pretty easy to scoop out of the muffin tin. I use a butter knife to loosen the edges first.
- Lastly, photograph your hard work. Tag me. Dig in.
View this post on Instagram
Hello, caprese cups. Happy #humpday 😋🍽 recipe coming soon •••••• #caprese #happyhumpday #morning #breakfast #breakfastporn #brunch #brunchtime #onmytable #eggs #bakedeggs #yolkporn #yolkporn #egginahole #egginabasket #putaneggonit #showmeyoureggs #foodstyling #food #foodpics #foodporn #foodie #dcigers #dcfoodie #eeeeats #pier1 #sharemypier1