I don’t claim to be a health-food blog, but I feel so good after making this alternative-to-bread breakfast! I was inspired by the many delicious-looking sweet potato toasts fellow-blogger Skylar Allen makes (see her Instagram). While Skylar roasts hers in the oven, I, being impatient, grilled mine over the stove. It turned out so good, I made it the next morning, too.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 tablespoons of crumbled goat cheese
- Your preferred seasoning (I used a pinch of salt and parsley)
- A little olive oil
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 15-20 mins.
- Slice the sweet potato length-wise, cutting two slices about one centimeter thick out of the longest part of the potato. This might look different based on the shape of your sweet potato.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil on medium heat in a medium-sized skillet – just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place the two long sweet potato slices (your “toast”) in the pan, and let them slowly sizzle for a minute or so. Save the rest of the sweet potato (to make this again tomorrow, or another recipe).
- Start boiling water to poach the eggs (use my method, here).
- After a minute or two, flip the sweet potato slices. Begin slicing your half avocado. I sliced mine length-wise, but do so however you prefer.
- Your water will probably be ready for poaching the eggs at this point. Here’s my method, if you need it.
- Flip the sweet potato toasts again, making sure that the flesh has gotten a little soft. If soft enough on both sides, transfer them to a plate using a spatula.
- Arrange your avocado slices on the sweet potato toasts, and sprinkle some goat cheese crumbles on top.
- Once the poached eggs are ready, scoop them on top of the avocado slices.
- Season to taste. I used a touch of salt and some parsley.
- Break the yolks, take Insta-pics, tag me, and dig in!
Sweet potato toast😱🍠🥑 [🥚poach method in bio] served w/ avo & goat cheese//inspired by @styledbyskylar & her amazing sweet potato toasts! •••••••• #sweetpotato #toast #avocado #avotoast #avocadotoast #goatcheese #greenfood #healthyfood #veggiefood #eggs #poachedeggs #yolk #yolkporn #putaneggonit #showmeyoureggs #cooking #recipeideas #breakfastideas #brunching #food #foodpics #foodie #foodporn #dcigers #dcfoodie #acreativedc #pier1 #sharemypier1