I’ve made a lot of breakfasts with savory waffles, so this time I tried something new: using chopped-up plant-based tomato waffles like hashbrowns and frying an egg in them. Specifically, I used swapples, made by a local DC startup that makes amazing healthy frozen waffles, but you could try this with other thick, Belgian-style waffles, too! Just avoid the sweeter flavors. If you make this, tag me, and you might be featured in the Yolk Lover’s Guide!
- 2 thick Belgian-style frozen waffles – I used tomato-flavored (plant-based & gluten-free) waffles by swapples but other kinds will work, too.
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 20 mins.
- Toast the waffles for 2-3 minutes. If using swapples, toast for an extra minute or two.
- Chop each waffle into pieces that are roughly 1 inch by 1 inch.
- Spray or lightly coat a medium-sized pan with olive oil. I used two mini pans, but you can make everything in one bigger pan, too.
- Place the waffle pieces in the pan and shake them around to coat them with the oil.
- Heat on medium for about two minutes.
- Make two small spaces in the waffle pieces, and crack an egg into each space. Heat on medium for about five minutes.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in the pan with the waffle pieces. Cover the pan with a lid and continue to heat on medium until the egg whites have cooked over, but the yolks are still soft – which you can check by wiggling the pan to see if the yolk still moves.
- Season as desired and let cool.
- Break the yolks, document your creation, tag me for a chance to be featured in the Yolk Lover’s Guide, and enjoy!
View this post on Instagram
Savory tomato waffle "hash" 😍& the waffle is gluten free/paleo/vegan/DELICIOUS by @swapples 🍳••••••••••• #hashporn #hashbrowns #healthyfood #healthybreakfast #glutenfree #dcglutenfree #paleofood #veggie #veggiefoodporn #veggiefood #eggs #eggrecipes #egginahole #friedeggs #bakedeggs #putaneggonit #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #waffleporn #waffles #foodie #dcigers #dcfoodie #acreativedc #dcfoodporn #wholefoods #wafflewednesday