It was a coworker’s birthday, so I wanted to make a festive breakfast snack, and 2 members of our team are participating in the Whole 30 diet. I raided my refrigerator for acceptable ingredients and came up with this simple egg cup variation, that was enjoyed by Whole30 colleagues and the rest of us alike! I hope you like them, too.
- 4 eggs
- About 6 (a handful of) cherry tomatoes
- About 1/4 – 1/2 of a red bell pepper
Serves: 2 people
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 4 sections of a muffin tin with olive oil (or wipe the oil on using a paper towel)
- Chop the tomatoes and red pepper into small pieces (an inch or smaller each).
- Place a few pieces of tomato and red pepper in each of the 4 muffin tin sections, saving a little less than half of them for later.
- Crack an egg into each muffin tin section.
- Place the remaining pieces of tomato and red pepper on top of the eggs, spreading them evenly among each egg.
- Season each egg cup as desired. I used salt and Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning.
- When fully preheated, place muffin tin in the oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and check on the eggs when it’s complete. I like my yolks runny, so 10 minutes ended up being the perfect amount of time, but you can leave them in about 3 minutes longer for yolks that are cooked through.
- Let the egg cups cool for a minute, and then use a butter knife to loosen them around the edges.
- Use the same knife to gently lift the egg cups out of the muffin tin. I keep an oven mitt on my secondary hand to hold the muffin tin in place while scooping with the knife.
- Let cool for another minute, and serve!
- Be sure to tag me me in any pictures you take of your work – you might end up featured in the Yolk Lover’s Guide!