Two perfect foods, combined. The result of a collaboration with DC food-blogger and fellow cheese-lover, A Hole Lotta Cheese! We used a mac & cheese recipe by The Pioneer Woman as our foundation, which you can find here. Our modifications for baking it with a yolky touch are below. You can also make this using any leftover mac & cheese you might have to save on time – otherwise, it’s more of a weekend brunch recipe as opposed to a quick before-work meal.
- 2 eggs
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- For the mac & cheese recipe we used:
- 4 cups dried macaroni
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons (heaping) dry mustard, more if desired
- 1 pound cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: If using mac & cheese recipe: 50 mins. If using leftovers or mac prepared beforehand: 35 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare mac & cheese using this recipe (but skip the baking step), another recipe you love, OR grab your leftovers.
- Chop each cherry tomato into 2 or 3 small slices. Put as many as you want on top of the mac n’ cheese.
- Use a spoon to make 2 indentations in the top of the mac & cheese for the eggs.
- Before adding the eggs, sprinkle shredded cheese all over the top.
- Crack an egg into each indentation. Add more cheese or your preferred seasoning on top. Parsley, salt and pepper are one of my favorite combinations to add. I’ve also added crumbled pepperoni before, and crumbled bacon would be good, too!
- Bake for 35 minutes – but check on the eggs a few times throughout! If the top of the eggs start to solidify, it could be ready to be taken out early.
- Let cool for a few minutes, break the yolks and let them run together with the cheese. Then take some #yolkporn pics, and tag me!
- You can find my collab partner, A Hole Lotta Cheese, on Insta here.