You know me: I like to put eggs in my pasta leftovers. Here’s a new, snack-size way to do it. Stay tuned for updates as I try these nests with more types of pasta! Also, consider these for your meal-prep purposes – they were just as delicious the second day.
- 6 eggs (Makes 4 pasta nests)
- 4 cups of cooked pasta
- 2 cups of pasta sauce
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A few basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Seasoning of your choice (I used a Tuscan spice mix)
- Baking spray or olive oil spray
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly coat 4 sections of a muffin tin with baking spray or olive oil spray.
- Place cooked pasta in a mixing bowl. (I used farfalle, because that’s what my dinner leftovers were. But I plan to try this with other pasta types and will report back on how it goes.)
- Crack 1 egg into a small bowl, remove the yolk, and pour the remaining egg white into the mixing bowl with the pasta. Repeat with a 2nd egg, and mix the pasta with the egg whites. This will keep the pasta stuck together as it bakes.
- Using a ladle or your hands, scoop the pasta into 4 sections of the muffin tin. Leave a dent in the middle of each so they form nests for the eggs.
- Scoop a little pasta sauce into each nest, and sprinkle in some parmesan, if desired. Be sure the nests are still deep enough to contain the eggs.
- Crack an egg into each nest. The egg white will fill the gaps in the pasta pieces and help it all stick together as it bakes.
- Scoop a little more sauce on top of the eggs. Add pieces of basil and chopped cherry tomatoes to each. Sprinkle some more parmesan, if you’d like.
- Season as desired.
- Bake: I set my timer for 15 mins, check it after 10, and let it go the full 15 so the egg whites are fully white but the yolks still look runny.
- Let cool for a few minutes. The nests could be a bit tricky to remove, so carefully use a butter knife to loosen them, and then a ladle to scoop them out.
- Document your creation via photo, tag me, and enjoy!
View this post on Instagram
2 of my fave foods, combined 😍 farfalle topped w/ marinara, basil, tomato & of course, eggs 🍝recipe goin up soon! ••••• #putaneggonit #pasta #pastaporn #farfalle #breakfast #breakfastporn #brunch #brunchporn #breakfastideas #italianfoodporn #showmeyoureggs #eggs #bakedeggs #yolk #yolkporn #cooking #whatiate #eeeeats #food #foodpics #foodie #foodporn #dcigers #dcfoodie #egginabasket