Why make eggs on toast when you can transform your bread into something cute and Italian-inspired? I had basil and tomatoes at home, and so this caprese variation was born. Try it and let me know what you think!
- 4 pieces of bread (I used white bread)
- 4 eggs
- 2 slices of deli-sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2-4 basil leaves
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- Your preferred seasoning (I used a Tuscan spice mix)
- Baking spray or olive oil spray
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray 4 sections of a muffin tin with baking spray or olive oil spray.
- Use a circular object (I used a Tupperware) about 4 inches in diameter to cut circles out of each slice of bread. Cut each circle in half.
- Press 2 bread semi-circles into each muffin cup, with their flat side on the bottom. They will overlap slightly, and probably will expand out of the muffin tin a little. Try to push them down so there is a well for the egg.
- Cut each cheese slice in half, and press a half slice into each bread cup. This will get so melty and delicious.
- Place a basil leaf or part of a leaf in each bread cup. Press down on the bread again to maintain the wells for the eggs.
- Crack an egg into each bread up.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place a few pieces on top of each egg.
- Season to taste. I used salt and a Tuscan spice mix (since this is caprese-inspired, after all).
- Bake – Set the timer for 15 mins, but check it after 10. You want the egg whites to start to solidify but the yolks to still be runny.
- Let cool for a few minutes. They should be pretty easy to scoop out of the muffin tin. I use a butter knife to loosen the edges first.
- Lastly, photograph your hard work. Tag me. Dig in.
Hello, caprese cups. Happy #humpday 😋🍽 recipe coming soon •••••• #caprese #happyhumpday #morning #breakfast #breakfastporn #brunch #brunchtime #onmytable #eggs #bakedeggs #yolkporn #yolkporn #egginahole #egginabasket #putaneggonit #showmeyoureggs #foodstyling #food #foodpics #foodporn #foodie #dcigers #dcfoodie #eeeeats #pier1 #sharemypier1