Featuring gluten-free chickpea pasta! (not required, but a good choice if you’re craving real pasta and can’t have it). I recently had the opportunity to try this chickpea-based pasta by Banza, and as someone who CAN have regular pasta, I can tell you that it was GOOD! But what isn’t good, smothered in cheesy vodka sauce? Add an egg (or two) and this pasta becomes the perfect breakfast.
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs
- About half of a box of pre-cooked shell pasta (for this recipe, I used Banza)
- About half of a jar of vodka sauce (can be precooked if you’re using leftovers)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used an Italian mix of parmesan and mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 basil leaf (ripped into small pieces) or a few dashes of basil flake seasoning
- Seasoning of your choice
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: Pre-cooking pasta/sauce–15 mins. Prep and eggs–20 mins.
- Save time by making the pasta, chopping the tomato, and adding the tomato, cheese and basil to the sauce and heating ahead of time. I usually make pasta for dinner and save leftovers for breakfasts like these.
- Pour a thin layer of olive oil into a skillet (determine skillet size based on how much pasta you’re using. If it’s overflowing you won’t have much room for the eggs). — NOTE: For this photo, I used two tiny skillets to split my pasta leftovers and cook one egg in each. It’ll still work if you do it all in one pan.
- Heat on medium. Stir in pre-cooked shell pasta with the olive oil. Usually, I use leftover pasta with whatever sauce I used the night before, that has already been mixed together. If they’re not mixed together yet, do so now in the skillet.
- If you haven’t already, chop your tomato, rip your basil into small pieces, and add all that plus your shredded cheese to the mixture.
- Stir occasionally, until the mixture sizzles.
- Use a ladle to make 2 indentations in the pasta, one for each egg.
- Carefully crack an egg into each indent, and reduce heat to medium low.
- Stir the pasta and sauce a little, but not too much so you don’t disrupt the eggs cooking or accidentally break a yolk. The pasta on the bottom will get crispy (and delicious!).
- To help the eggs cook, since they’ll be slower to do so than the pasta, you can cover the pan with a lid, checking the eggs every few minutes. I like mine a little runnier and I usually don’t let the white cook all the way over the yolk because I like to see some #yolkporn. Let them cook to your desired firmness, then remove from heat. For me, this takes about 10 minutes.
- Season the eggs to taste, let cool, take photos, and tag me!
- Tip: I loved eating this one straight from the pan.
Friday comfort food 🙌🏽 eggs in shell pasta w/ vodka sauce=the antidote to DC's pouring rain 🍝 this @eatbanza pasta is made with chickpeas and is #glutenfree 👍🏽 ••••••• #eatbanza #comfortfood #pasta #pastaporn #breakfast #breakfastporn #breakfastideas #brunch #brunching #healthyfood #eggs #bakedeggs #friedegg #yolk #yolkporn #putaneggonit #showmeyoureggs #food #foodie #foodporn #dcigers #dcfoodie #acreativedc #dcfoodporn #whstrong #foodandwine