I’ve wanted to make a nest breakfast for a long time, but I don’t own a spiralizer, and they (possibly irrationally) scare me. So I asked my boyfriend to grab me whatever pre-spiralized item our grocery store happened to be selling one day, which varies from zucchini, to sweet potato, to other squashes. Butternut squash-oodles are what he came home with (there’s no easy “zoodles” word for these), and they made the most delicious fall-inspired nests for my eggs! I hope you like them.
- 2 eggs
- 1 butternut squash, spiralized (I bought mine pre-spiralized at the grocery store)
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 15-20 mins.
- Add just enough olive oil to a medium-sized pan to thinly coat the bottom of it. Then, add some seasoning (I used Everyday seasoning from Trader Joe’s, but garlic salt or salt and pepper would be good, too). Heat on medium low for 1-2 minutes.
- Note: I bought my butternut squash pre-spiralized at the grocery store. If you prefer to spiralize your own, here’s a good guide.
- On a cutting board, arrange the spiralized butternut squash into two “nests” so the “noodles” are wrapped around in circles like spaghetti. My nests were each about 5 inches in diameter, with a 2-inch hole in the middle of both where the eggs will go. Save any extra squash for other use.
- Once the oil is warm, slide a spatula under each nest to transfer them to the pan. Sprinkle your desired seasoning on top of each nest, cover pan with a lid and heat on medium for about 2 minutes.
- When the squash has softened a little, crack an egg into each nest, and continue to cook on medium. Covering the pan with a lid again will help the eggs cook faster.
- Let eggs cook for about 7 minutes, or until the egg whites have fully set, but the yolks are still soft, meaning they move slightly when you wiggle the pan.
- When the eggs are done to your liking, remove from heat, add any additional seasoning you’d like on top of the eggs, and let cool. The bottom of the nests will be deliciously crispy.
- Take pictures of your autumn-inspired creation, tag me and enjoy!
Butternut squash nests 🍳Happy fall to all! 🍂🍃Shoutout to @traderjoes for the Everyday seasoning & @giantfood for selling pre-spiralized squash!! Making brunch life so much easier ••••••••••••••• #butternutsquash #pumpkin #spiralized #spiralizer #breakfast #breakfastporn #brunchideas #recipeidea #fallfood #eggs #eggslover #eggrecipes #friedegg #bakedeggs #eggnest #egginahole #putaneggonit #yolkporn #glutenfree #dcglutenfree #dcigers #dcfoodie #dcfoodporn #acreativedc #giantfood #traderjoes #bonappetitmag #food52 #foodandwine #inspiralized