I’ve been loving the taste of whole chickpeas lately, so I looked up classic chickpea dishes I could supplement with eggs, and found a Spanish recipe combining them with paprika and spinach. This is the result of my adaptation of that idea.
If you make this recipe and post a pic, tag @meags_eggs on Instagram!
- 2 garlic cloves (or some garlic powder if you’re in a pinch)
- 1 can of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans in grocery stores)
- 1 large handful of raw spinach
- 2 eggs
- A few large pinches of paprika
- Optional – a squirt of tomato paste.
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 15 mins.
- Strain and rinse the chickpeas, then heat some oil in a medium-sized pan.
- Chop your garlic into small pieces, and saute in the oil until the pieces start to turn brown (2ish minutes).
- Add the chickpeas, a few generous pinches of paprika, and a squirt of tomato paste (if desired) to the pan, and stir until the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Let the chickpeas cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the spinach, and stir.
- Use a ladle to create 2 indentations in the mixture for the eggs.
- Crack an egg into each indentation, season with salt and pepper, and cover the pan with a lid. (No matching lid? Use a baking sheet to cover the pan)
- Let the eggs cook for about 6 minutes, keeping an eye on them. You want to see the egg whites cooked through, but the yolks to remain soft. Jiggle the pan softly to judge whether the whites have cooked.
- When the eggs have cooked to your desired level, remove from heat.
- When you serve (I recommend directly from the pan), break the yolks and smear the eggs into the chickpeas and spinach to create a creamy mixture. Enjoy!
- Don’t forget to take pictures of your creation and tag me for a chance to be featured on my Instagram Story or the Yolk Lover’s Guide.
View this post on Instagram
I continued this week’s chickpea kick with a riff on Spanish paprika chickpeas and spinach. So good and so quick - I whipped this baby up in 10 minutes while running late this morning. Recipe definitely coming soon! (Thanks to @elerichards for recommending this idea to me in a comment on my last chickpea post on Saturday!) • • • • • #weekendbreakfast #quickrecipe #chickpeas #chickpearecipes #skillet #onepanmeal #paprika #breakfastlover #brunchlife #eggfast #brunchrecipe #brunchideas #eggsfordays #eggrecipes #eggsellent #eggporn #egglover #poachedeggs #putaneggonit #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #eggrecipes #dmvfood #dcfoodie #pinefor #acreativedc #bonappetitmag #healthyrecipe #veggierecipes #garbanzobeans #garbanzos