My latest egg-in-a-hole eggsperiment: making breakfast for the whole family at once with eggs and ham. I like to spend at least one morning over the holidays preparing a Meags Eggs inspired meal for my family while we’re all home together. This year, I made 4 toasts on the stovetop. Read how below.
If you make this recipe and post a pic, tag @meags_eggs on Instagram!
- 4 pieces of bread of your choice
- 4 slices of deli meat – I chose ham
- 4 eggs
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 20 mins.
- Grease a large pan or skillet with cooking oil or butter (I used butter here) and heat on medium.
- Use a small glass or other circular object about 2 inches in diameter to remove a circle from the middle of each slice of bread. To avoid breaking the bread during this process, it can be helpful to flatten each piece of bread first with your hands or by rolling a glass over them, to make the bread more pliable.
- Save the circular cut-outs, and place the bread slices in your pan or on your skillet.
- Place a slice of ham (or your preferred deli meat) around the edge of each bread hole – so they are not completely blocking the holes, but will be close enough to the heat to warm up.
- Crack an egg into each hole, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid, or with a baking sheet if you don’t have a matching lid.
- Allow the eggs to cook for about 8-10 minutes, checking on them frequently. You want the egg whites to cook through, but the yolks to remain a little soft. You can lightly jiggle the pan to gauge how thoroughly cooked the whites are.
- When the eggs have cooked to your desired firmness, use a spatula to transfer the toasts to serving plates. Place one of the circular bread cut-outs you saved on each plate, and serve!
- Don’t forget to take pictures of your creation and tag me for a chance to be featured on my Instagram Story or the Yolk Lover’s Guide.
View this post on Instagram
Easy breakfast for the family - perfect when you’re home for the holidays like I am!🎄 Recipes for all my posts this week coming soon to meagseggs.com! 🍳 • • • • • #sundaybreakfast #eggtoast #breakfastfood #breakfastlover #brunchlife #eggfast #eggsellent #eggporn #egglover #eggsfordays #egginahole #egginabasket #eggsontoast #egginanest #putaneggonit #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #dmvfood #recipeideas #dcfoodie #pinefor #acreativedc #bythingsdc #foodandwine #bonappetitmag #eggsandham #pnwfood #pnwfoodie #seattlefoodie #seattlefood