Tomatoes and basil were high on my quarantine grocery shopping list because there are so many recipes you can make with them. I also had ricotta on hand for a separate recipe, so one morning I decided it would make a delicious base for a toast.
I decided to put together a quick “bruschetta” with salted cherry tomatoes and basil. “Bruschetta” is in quotes because the true Italian recipe includes onions, which I tend to avoid. So this is a pared down ricotta bruschetta toast topped with soft boiled eggs for your easy brunching needs!
- Two pieces of bread (I used thicker slices)
- About 3 Tbsp spreadable ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A few fresh basil leaves
- 1 soft boiled egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: about 15 mins
- Soft boil the egg. (My preferred method is to use this egg cooker to soft boil. If you don’t have one, use this soft boiled egg recipe. You want the yolk to be jammy and soft, but firm enough to stay in place when you slice the egg.)
- While the egg is cooking, toast the bread.
- To avoid the toast getting soggy, wait to put anything on it until the egg is ready.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into 2 or 3 pieces each, and lightly salt them.
- Rip the basil leaves into slightly smaller pieces.
- When the egg is ready, remove from heat (or your egg cooker) and let it sit briefly in an ice bath, and then peel.
- In a small bowl, lightly mix the tomato, basil, and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the ricotta on your toast.
- Distribute the tomato basil mixture evenly on top of both pieces of bread.
- Slice the egg in half and then into quarters and distribute pieces evenly on both pieces of toast. Season eggs to taste.
- Finally, take pictures of your toast and tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
View this post on Instagram
Jammy bruschetta toast with ricotta! 🍅🍳 a lil peek into today’s WFH lunch 😏 See my story today for how this toast comes together! . . . . . #eatvoraciously #bruschetta #ricottatoast #ricottacheese #tomatotoast #freshtomato #toastlover #recipeidea #breakfastlover #brunchrecipe #eggsfordays #eggrecipes #eggsellent #eggporn #egglover #jammyeggs #softboiledegg #softboiledeggs #putaneggonit #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #dmvfood #dcfoodie #pinefor #eggsforbreakfast #dcfoodporn #dcfoodblog #gnivibes #bonappetitmag #quarantinecooking