Everything in this recipe is going to sound a little random and that’s because it is. I made this early in the pandemic quarantine after many days of comforting myself with pasta dishes so I finally looked at the fridge and pantry and said to myself: “What green things in here can I combine for brunch?”
And thus, these beautiful chard-wrapped egg cups stuffed with peas came to be!
- 4 large rainbow chard leaves
- 1 piece of bread of your choice (optional)
- About 1/4 cup peas
- About 2 Tbsp finely grated parmesan
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Harissa for topping
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray 4 sections of a muffin tin with cooking spray (or use a paper towel to wipe with oil).
- Layer one chard leaf into each muffin tin section in a cup shape.
- Rip or cut 4 small pieces of bread from the bread slice – each just about big enough to fit into the bottom of each muffin tin section. Place inside the chard leaves and press down on the bread with your fingers to flatten it a bit. (for a gluten free version of this recipe, leave out the bread)
- Distribute the peas evenly among all 4 cups. Use a fork or your fingers to mash them down a bit.
- Sprinkle parmesan on top of the peas in each cup.
- Crack an egg into each zucchini cup, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, checking on the eggs every few minutes. You want the whites to be mostly firm, while the yolks remain soft and jammy. Use an oven mitt to lightly jiggle the muffin tin to see how well cooked the egg whites are.
- On the outside, the chard will be crispy, while on the bottom parts touching the muffin tin, it will be more moist and soft.
- When the eggs are cooked to your desired firmness, remove from the oven and let cool for a minute.
- Use a butter knife to loosen each egg cup from the edge of their muffin tin sections, and transfer the cups to serving plate. Top each egg cup with a bit of harissa, let cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!
- Take pictures of your work and tag me for a chance to be featured on my Instagram Story or the Yolk Lover’s Guide.
View this post on Instagram
New egg cup alert! 💡 Watch my story today or swipe right for how it’s done: we’re starting with big rainbow chard leaves, mashing in some peas, layering in Parmesan, and topping with eggs of course! I’ve been eating so much pasta during quarantine that my body finally said enough is enough, I need GREENS 🥬 And that’s how this idea was born! . . . . . #eatvoraciously #harissa #rainbowchard #eggsontoast #recipeidea #breakfastlover #brunchrecipe #eggsfordays #eggrecipes #eggsellent #eggporn #egglover #bakedeggs #eggcups #eggcup #putaneggonit #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #eggrecipes #dmvfood #dcfoodie #pinefor #eggsforbreakfast #dcfoodporn #dcfoodblog #gnivibes #healthybrunch #bonappetitmag #socialdistancing #stayhomechallenge