Eggs nestled in a bed of Italian-style bread = match made in heaven. Inspired by Bon Appetit Magazine’s latest cover, wandering the bakery section of my grocery store I thought to myself, what can I put an egg on here? My eyes landed on these mini ciabatta rolls, and I was sold. Throw in the veggies I happened to have fresh at home, and this breakfast emerged! Fun fact: ciabatta gets its name from the Italian word for “slipper,” because of its harder crust, soft inside, and flattened yet round-topped shape.
- 4 eggs
- 4 small ciabatta rolls (smaller than sandwich-sized. Mine were about 3×3 inches)
- Veggie options:
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- OR other veggies you prefer – different colored bell peppers work, too
- Seasoning of your choice (I used a Tuscan spice mix, sea salt, and red pepper flakes)
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Use a knife (preferably serrated) to cut square holes out of each ciabatta roll. The holes need to be deep enough to contain the egg whites without overflowing a lot, but still leave a decent layer of bread at the bottom, about half of a centimeter high. Place rolls on the baking sheet.
- Chop your tomatoes, green pepper or other veggies into small slices, and place a few pieces in each ciabatta roll. If you want, save some to add more after the eggs (I put mine all at the bottom – that’s why you can’t really see them in the photo).
- Crack an egg into each ciabatta roll. Tuck in a few more veggie pieces, if you’d like.
- Season to your preference – I used a Tuscan spice mix, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, checking every few minutes to see if the egg whites are set to your preference, but the yolks are still soft.
- Let cool, take pictures of your work, tag me, and enjoy! You can eat these properly with a knife and fork, OR you can pull them apart with your hands and dip parts of the crust in the yolks like me 🙂
Tell me: How do you like yours?? Today I like mine nestled in ciabatta rolls 🥖😍See my story for the veggies underneath-recipe in bio! Taking serious inspiration from @bonappetitmag 🍳•••• #putaneggonit #bonappetitmag #ciabatta #ciabatte #breakfast #breakfastporn #brunch #brunching #bakedeggs #egginahole #egginabasket #putaneggonit #eggs #uova #yolk #yolkporn #breadporn #cooking #onmytable #food #foodpics #foodie #foodporn #foodstyling #eeeeats #showmeyoureggs #dcigers #dcfoodie #magazine #veggie #vegetarianfood