This breakfast has been on my list since Meag’s Eggs began two years ago. I finally got around to it, after experimenting with sweet potato toast, and I don’t know how I waited this long because it was so tasty, relatively healthy, but also so filling! And this recipe only really requires two ingredients, so yeah, add it to your regular rotation.
- 4 eggs
- 1 large sweet potato
- Olive oil (preferably in spray form)
- Seasoning, as desired (I used a Tuscan spice mix and parsley)
Estim. Prep & Cook Time: 20 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse the sweet potato and cut it into 4 slices, lengthwise. Each slice should come out to about 1 centimeter thick.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the center of each sweet potato slice, like you’re forming the shape of a canoe. Ideally, you want the holes deep and wide enough for the eggs to fit into without sliding out. It’s okay if you accidentally poke a hole all the way through the slice, but try to avoid it.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or baking spray.
- Arrange each sweet potato slice on the baking sheet and spritz each one with a little olive oil (or lightly drizzle if you don’t have spray).
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the sweet potato slices from the oven.
- Carefully, as the pan will be very hot, crack an egg into each sweet potato boat. Do your best to keep the egg whites contained in the boats, but don’t stress too much if some slides off the side.
- Season to taste.
- Bake again for about 10-15 minutes, but check on the eggs occasionally – you want the whites to cook through, but the yolks to still be jiggly and therefore runny.
- Once the eggs are done to your liking, remove from the oven and let cool.
- Savor your delicious meal, take a pic, tag me, and enjoy!
My first sweet potato boats! SO delicious. Recipe soon 😋🍠 •••••••• #mdw2017 #sweetpotato #breakfast #breakfastideas #breakfastporn #brunch #healthyeating #healthyfood #plantbased #glutenfree #eggs #bakedeggs #yolk #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #putaneggonit #cooking #onmyplate #eeeeats #food #foodporn #foodie #foodpics #dcigers #dcfoodie #sharemypier1 #pier1 #foodandwine #bonappetit