I had never had a crumpet, before. That is, until Trader Joe’s lined the checkout aisle with them the day Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were married, interspersing British flags among them to really capitalize on the moment. I thought, why not? It’d be easy to fry an egg into the middle of those. So I did some taste-testing prep, and then assembled this very simple recipe – I hope you like it!
- 1 tablespoon butter (or a bit of olive oil as a substitute)
- 2 crumpets
- 2 eggs
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 10 mins.
- Use the rim of a small glass or a large shot glass to cut a circle out of the center of both crumpets.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a medium-sized skillet.
- Place both crumpets in the skillet, then crack an egg into each crumpet hole.
- Let the eggs cook for about 7 minutes, or until the whites have fully cooked, but the yolks are still soft (so they move slightly when you wiggle the pan).
- When the eggs are done to your liking, remove from heat, add any seasoning you’d like on top of the eggs, and let cool. The bottom of each crumpet will be nice and crispy.
- Take pictures of your British breakfast, tag me and enjoy!