How many new toasts can I create during this Coronavirus quarantine? The limit does not exist!
Given that we’re all limiting our trips to the grocery store, I’ve had to be creative when addressing my cravings for bagels. In this case, while I didn’t have any bagels on hand, I did have just about everything else that makes a bagel delicious: the cream cheese, salmon, cucumber, and egg. All that with Trader Joe’s Everything But The Bagel seasoning and a piece of toast rounded out a pretty delicious bagel substitute!
- One piece of bread (I used whole wheat)
- 1.5 Tbsp chive cream cheese (or plain cream cheese mixed with green onion)
- A few small pieces of smoked salmon
- About 4 cucumber slices
- 1 soft boiled egg
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (pre-bought from Trader Joe’s, or you can mix your own)
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: about 20 mins
- Soft boil the egg. (My preferred method is to use this egg cooker to soft boil. If you don’t have one, use this soft boiled egg recipe. You want the yolk to be jammy and soft, but firm enough to stay in place when you slice the egg.)
- While the egg is cooking, toast the bread to your desired toastiness level. I wanted mine on the crispier side for this recipe due to all the softer stuff we’re piling on top of it.
- Slice a few pieces of cucumber, and sprinkle them with salt. Giving the salt time to sit on the cucumbers is important for letting their flavor come out (lessons learned from Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat!). Set aside.
- To avoid the toast getting soggy, wait to put anything on it until the egg is ready.
- When the egg is ready, remove from heat (or your egg cooker) and let it sit briefly in an ice bath before peeling.
- Spread the cream cheese on the toast, then add your pieces of salmon.
- Next add your cucumber slices. Then slice the soft boiled egg in half, then in quarters. Add as many pieces of the egg as you can fit on top of your toast.
- Finish with salt to taste, then Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Take pictures of your beautiful toast and tag me on Instagram so I can see it!