Are you a fan of oyster mushrooms? I have been obsessed with them in the last few weeks of quarantine as I’ve discovered how meaty and delicious they are – especially with eggs! They make a perfect alternative to sausage in a hash – so I sautéed them with basil for this easy work-from-lunch.
- 1 handful (about 3/4 cup) oyster mushrooms
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Salt and garlic powder to taste
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: about 15 mins
- Heat a little bit of oil in a medium-sized pan on medium heat.
- Pull oyster mushrooms apart into smaller pieces and add to the pan.
- Season mushrooms with salt, a healthy amount of garlic powder.
- Add tomato paste to pan and mix together with mushrooms evenly.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to brown and are slightly crispy on the edges.
- Add the basil leaves to the pan and stir. Add more oil if needed.
- Create a space in the middle of the pan for the egg, and crack the egg into the pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes (you want to give the egg white time to cook over the yolk, but the yolk to stay runny).
- Wiggle the pan slightly to make sure the yolk is still soft, and remove from heat when the egg white on top is cooked to your liking.
- Add additional seasoning to taste, and serve.
- Don’t forget to take pictures of your meal and tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
View this post on Instagram
When the body’s craving a break from #quarantinecarbs 😅 You make a mushroom and basil skillet and #putaneggonit! 🍳 I have been obsessed with oyster mushrooms lately. They’re so meaty and delicious - I love dressing them up with garlic powder and paprika and using them as a meat substitute in everything! What do you like to make with oyster mushrooms? Anything I need to try? P.S. this brunch was totally inspired by a recent skillet by @rainbow_thebrokefoodie 😋 . . . . . #oystermushrooms #oystermushroom #skilletcooking #skilletmeals #skillet #runnyyolk #eggsofinstagram #breakfastlover #brunchrecipe #eggsfordays #eggrecipes #eggsellent #eggporn #egglover #friedegg #eggseggseggs #yolkporn #showmeyoureggs #dmvfood #dcfoodie #eggsforbreakfast #dcdining #dcfoodporn #dcfoodblog #quarantinecooking #quarantinefood #quarantinekitchen #covidcooking