A new healthy breakfast to meal prep: eggs wrapped in zucchini (a healthier variation of my prosciutto egg cups). For a Whole 30 compliant version of this recipe, leave out the bread I insert at the bottom of the cups.
If you make this recipe and post a pic, tag @meags_eggs on Instagram!
- 1/2 of a zucchini
- 1 piece of bread of your choice
- 4 eggs
Estim. Prep & Cooking Time: 25 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray or use a paper towel to wipe 4 sections of a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Use a knife to cut a long, thin slice from the side of the zucchini. Then, using a cheese slicer or a mandolin, shave off 4 thin, long slices from the zucchini flesh (or if they break while you’re slicing like mine did – 8 short thin slices).
- Cut a few more small, slightly thicker pieces of zucchini that will fit into the bottom of each muffin tin section.
- Rip or cut 4 small pieces of bread from the bread slice – each just about big enough to fit into the bottom of each muffin tin section.
- Arrange the long zucchini slices around the inner sides of each previously-greased muffin tin section, so that they wrap around in a circle.
- Place one of your bread pieces inside each zucchini circle, on the bottom. Then place the small zucchini pieces on top of the bread pieces.
- Crack an egg into each zucchini cup, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, checking on the eggs every few minutes. You want the whites to be mostly firm, while the yolks remain soft and jammy. Use an oven mitt to lightly jiggle the muffin tin to see how well cooked the egg whites are.
- When the eggs are cooked to your desired firmness, and the exposed zucchini slices appear to be getting slightly crispy (don’t wait until they’re actually crispy), remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Use a butter knife to loosen each egg cup from the edge of their muffin tin sections, and transfer the cups to serving plate. Let cool and enjoy!
- Take pictures of your work and tag me for a chance to be featured on my Instagram Story or the Yolk Lover’s Guide.